Wednesday, November 10, 2010

NOT A BOX

Title: Not A Box
Author: Antoinette Portis


Summary: A small bunny proves that there is no limit when it comes to imagination. The story shows that a simple box can be anything from a race car to a rocket ship.

Opinion: Not A Box is one of the most original picture books that I have read in a while. The illustrations throughout the book are basic in premise (the same black box appears on every page). But here enlies the beauty. A simple boring box can be changed into anything one can imagine. The use of red shows the rabbit's creations through imagination. These illustrations are quite crude and could easily be replicated by children, making them delightful.
I remember growing up, my next door neighbor and I built a box fort that was quite the envy to the rest of the cul-de-sac. It had levels and seemingly endless potential as it could shift from a space shuttle to a castle with a blink of an eye. This book transported me back to those days.
I am seriously in love with this book. It is so awesome and so original. It is incredible that such a basic premise has not been done before. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment