Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mirror Book

Title: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Author: Judith Viorst
Illustrated by: Ray Cruz

Summary: If you ever thought you have had a bad day, just wait till you hear about Alexander's. From a visit to the dentist office to getting gum stuck in your hair, this bad day may just go unrivaled.

Opinion: This was one of my favorites growing up and I never really knew why until now. Having a bdad day could be one of the most relatable experiences there is. And it is clear that the only medicine for having a bad day is to hear about someone who is having a worst day then you. All of the events throughout the story have happened to most kids, but for Alexander, all of these tragedies happened in one day.

Viorst manages to capture a child's temperament masterfully, making Alexander look more like a victim to the ruthless universe as opposed to just a whiny child. When reading this, I felt truly sad for Alexander and wanted to hop inside the story, just so I can give him a hug. This book is a great pick-me-up when you are feeling down and is lovely from cover to cover.

I would recommend this book to anyone that looks like they are a bit sad, or are just complaining in general. My mom still to this day reminds me of Alexander when I am having a rough go at it. Hopefully after reading this book, you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment