Monday, September 13, 2010

Together

ARF! ARF!

Title: Together
Author & Illustrator: Jane Simmons
Ages 4-7

Summary: This story depicts the story of two dogs that are best friends Mousse and Nut. Mousse and Nut have a great time together until their two different sizes begins to cause problems when they are playing together. The story reaches a sad moment when Mousse and Nut decided it would be best if they stopped being friends. Both Mousse and Nut realize that living without a friend isn't all that it is cracked out to be. The two apologizes and return to being friends and learn a touching lesson about friendship.

Opinion: First off, I must confess... I have a soft spot for dogs. I wouldn't even say it is a soft "spot" as it consumes my whole body. With that being said, Jane Simmons does a wonderful job in her story Together Mousse and Nut have a very relatable relationship that is sure to touch the hearts of all children (and adults) that have the pleasure of reading this table. The Illustrations are truly remarkable. The blending of colors in the background creates breathtaking landscapes and the emotion of the dogs matches the story perfectly. The text is extremely readable for early readers and still is able to convey a great message to young children, everyone should be embraced for their differences. I would recommend this story to all young children that have big hearts and are ready to learn a warm lesson. (Being a dog lover doesn't hurt too! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think I would love this book as I am a dog lover as well! Also, I think this book could be used as a lesson on diversity and read around the time of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

    ReplyDelete